Join Yiran for this incredible Shibori workshop. Bai stitch resist tie-dye known as 'ZhaRan' in Chinese and 'Shibori' in Japanese is a traditional craft of the Bai ethnic minority group in Yunnan, southern China. This craft has existed for over 1000 years and is still practiced today.
In the first 2-hour workshop, led by a member of the Bai people, you will:
- Learn and practice three traditional stitch resist tie-dye techniques
- Create your own design based on these techniques and apply it to a provided square cotton bandana and a cotton tote bag.
- You can choose to dye your scarf and bandana in your Indigo dye vat or any kind of dye vat you have and learn about the dyeing process or you can dye it later at your connivence.
This workshop is taught through Zoom, and you will receive a material kit through post once you purchase the class, which includes:
- Needles and threads for stitching
- One piece of sample fabric with lines to practice
- One square cotton bandana
- One plain cotton tote bag
- One water erasable pen for your draw your own design
However, it does not include the dye, which you can choose to make your own indigo dye vat by purchasing an indigo dye vat kit or using simpler Dylon handdye or Rit dye with salt.
Here are some links for you to check out dye you want to use:
You can get Indigo dye kit from:
Or you can just get Dylon handye or Rit dye:
Your lucky recipient will be sent their kit & they can then book their class for the date they wish. Classes run on Saturdays 11-1pm.
As a member of southern China's Bai minority ethnicity, Yiran is interested in the conservation of ethnic minority craft techniques. She has build a broad experience of costume making, design and supervision in performance through her university study. She is passionate about exploring communication between the East and West and her practice has focused on how to combine embroidery and traditional elements from Chinese costumes with Western techniques to explore intercultural connections. Yiran founded YiCrafts last year to offer people experiencing Chinese ethnic minority's tranditional cultural crafts.
Please note, there is a delivery time of between 5-7 days for your Sashiko kit (needle, thread, template and tote bag). Delivery is £5.